Monday, June 28, 2010

My wisdom teeth experience

Today was the day, the day that I was finally going to get my wisdom teeth pulled. I had done my research. I read all kinds of stories, some successful, some horrific. I looked up laughing gas and how that worked. When it came down to it, I had probably freaked myself out even more by supposedly “preparing myself” for this awful thing.

We left right at three and arrived at the dentist office around 3:35. My appointment was scheduled for 3:50. Great, I thought to myself, fifteen minutes to sit and dread. However. we were barely sitting down for five minutes when they called me in.

A hygienist was working that I had never met. She seemed pretty nice. She read the complications that could occur such as swelling, infections, permanent numbing. My heart was beating rapidly at that time. Then it was time for the gas, the “laughing gas”. She stuck that thing on my nose and said, “Now, tell me if you start feeling sick to your stomach”. I replied with, “I’m already feeling sick to my stomach! I’ve been feeling sick for the last week just thinking about this day!” She laughed and I grew a little calmer. The gas started kicking in and I tried preparing myself to go into this new world that I had read so much about on the internet. However, this big moment never came. I didn’t feel light headed or dizzy. My limbs didn’t go numb or feel heavy or light. And I most certainly did not start to laugh! The only thing I noticed was that my heart quit beating so fast and I was beginning to feel rather sleepy.

The doctor came in, gave me my shots and man, those things hurt a lot more than I remembered. I swear he gave me like twenty shots! I was beginning to feel my cheeks expand. He left and it was just me and the hygienist. My tongue was going numb and when she starting asking me questions I knew it wasn’t going to be good.

Hygienst: “So where do you work?”
Megan: “Piiiizahh Hufd”

I don’t know how she managed to understand me but she did. She went into some conversation about her son working at Pizza Hut. In the meantime I kept feeling my lips to see how wide my mouth was open. I knew I had to look like an idiot. How she kept from laughing, I do not know.

Before I knew it, he was back and ready to get after these teeth. He warned me that there’d be more pressure on the bottom ones. He told me to open my mouth and he stuck some tool that I did not get a peek out in there. In less than ten seconds, he pulled out the tool and said it was out. I was stunned. Yeah, there was pressure and all but I expected it to take a lot longer than that. I expected some intense sighs from him and multiple tools coming out to get the job done.

He left for a bit, and came back to take care of the other bottom one. Turns out this tooth had an infection, the infection that I was whining about four months ago. So that was probably the most painful part. The hygienist stuck some gauze in there and told me to bite down. I couldn’t tell if I was biting down or not because I was still numb. I asked, “Am I biting down?!” What an idiot.

Okay, so the bottom teeth are out, I thought. I figured the top wouldn’t be any worse. It was time to work on the top ones. The first one wasn’t bad at all. More gauze, he left to work on other patients. One more to go! I was so excited I could barely stand it. I just hoped it wouldn’t take long.

Finally he came back and washed out my mouth and said something about being done. I was so confused. I tried speaking to ask him, “What about that other top one?” He was like, “It’s out. I took it out when I took that first bottom one out.” Oh my gosh! They were out! All of them!

So that was my experience. My face was numb for at least four hours and I couldn’t either talk. Also I’ve been drooling it up which is quite disgusting but I’ll save you all from the details.

It’s been five hours since the ordeal and I’m doing well now. Ate some tomato soup and took my first pain pill.

Here I am. I think I look quite darling considering….haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment