Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Reds and pinks

Valentine’s Day has been a fun holiday ever since elementary school. It was always fun decorating a Valentine box to bring to school. I remember picking out my Valentines and trying to match each one to a specific person in my class.

As I grew older it had more of a meaning with just that one special person. Throughout the years I have received poems, flowers, stuffed animals, and candy from boyfriends for Valentine’s day. I was so lucky to have the sweet boyfriends that I did. There are a few particular Valentine’s Days that stand out from the rest.

In seventh grade, I got my first boyfriend. I freaked out when Valentine’s Day got closer and closer. I wasn’t used to having someone to shop for.

On the big day I walked into one of my classrooms and found a white carnation with a note from my boyfriend lying on my desk. At our school, we were able to purchase a carnation or cookie with a personal message for our loved ones. I was so excited to find one on my desk. Another girl in my class received a flower as well from her boyfriend. She was more popular than me and always had a different boyfriend for Valentine’s Day so it really wasn’t much of a surprise. I remember her asking me, “Isn’t it nice having a boyfriend?” I just smiled knowing that she was one of those girls that would never have to go without one; the flower and note meant so much more to me. Yes, I still have them because I’m the sappy, sentimental type of girl.

Then there was my senior year in high school. As I arrived into school on the 14th, I found a huge balloon hanging above my locker. I came to find out that this wasn’t just an ordinary balloon; it was a singing balloon! All you had to do was tap it and it would sing a cute song. All day, numerous people would punch it and I would hear that same song down the hallway and during my classes. It was one of the sweetest Valentine gestures ever.

I just thought I'd share those past experiences with you all. I’m totally cool with being alone this Valentine’s Day because I know that I’ve had some good ones in the past. I can’t expect to have that special someone by my side every 14th of February. Plus, I have the best friends and family a girl could ask for! This year, it’s going to be me and some chocolate.

But, to those of you who do have that special someone, enjoy him or her. Don’t take your relationship for granted because next year, it could be you alone on V-day!

No comments:

Post a Comment